Saturday, October 18

The Corn Maze

Yesterday, we went with our friends Paul and Blythe to an awesome Farm that had a pumpkin patch, hay maze, jungle gym, pumpkin bowling, petting zoo, farm store and a CORN MAZE! We've never been in a corn maze and were excited to try it out. They gave us a map to help navagate our way around the maze--as you can see in the picture, it was themed for this year's election (very creative).

Van had a blast running around seeing all of the cool stuff at the farm. He loved looking at the animals and when he went up to them he said "Whoa!" He is very good with his animal sounds (well, except for goats and roosters--which is what they had on display at this farm, of course). He still had fun looking at them.

While Derek and Paul went to the farm store to pay for the corn maze, I tried a little experiment. Van was running off, exploring down a dirt road (on the farm-not really used). I thought that this would be a safe place to see how far he is actually willing to venture from my side. As he was walking, Blythe and I were watching him the whole time. He walked about 20 yards and turned back to see my reaction. I called his name and waved him back. At which point, he looked in my direction, then looked further down the road, and looked back at me before deciding to continue down the road (little stinker). He went another 20 yards and looked back at me. This time I was a little perturbed and called out his name as loud as I could and called him back. Being newly pregnant, I haven't been feeling too well and didn't want to run after him. He still didn't listen and turned and kept walking. By this point Derek and Paul had returned from paying for the corn maze and Derek was able to run down and get him...my hero (by this point he was probably 50+yards away). Well, I guess I know not to let Van walk too far because he will just keep going. Experiment tested, results: scary.

2 comments:

Blythe said...

I should have gone and gotten him.... lol. He was so defiant... it was almost cute in a very non cool way :-)

Oliveros Family said...

He must take after his dad. Have you heard the stories of him running around the neighborhood naked when he was little?