Saturday, June 5

Results Are In...

Just heard back from Van's Sleep Study and like we already knew, he has sleep apnea. So I asked the her to explain more, how bad is it really? She told me it was moderate. He apnea's (stops breathing/labored breathing) an average of 9 times an hour. She said anything under 5 is low, 5-10 is moderate (so really he is a high moderate).

Hearing it all laid out like that is totally terrifying. She gave us the name of a scheduler for surgery. Now there's the terrifying decision of: should we just leave him....or go ahead with surgery. I've been witness to his apnea and that in itself is scary enough to push for the surgery.

Then I asked the lady calling me to tell me more about the surgery. She said they would take out his tonsils and adnoids. She said it's a very common surgery that would take less than an hour, then they would watch him for 2-3 hours and we would take him home. The total recovery is about a week and it would feel like a sore throat. I asked how long til we would see/hear the results. She told me that she's always surprised that parents will say that that it's that same night, but there may be some swelling so it could be a couple nights.
Please send your prayers and good thoughts our way.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm sending good wishes your way. Hope everything works out well for Van.

Sarah said...

Poor kid. He looks so sad in all those wire thingys. If getting his tonsils out would help with his apnea I say do it. Not like my opinion matters. But tonsilectomies are so much easier for kids to recover from. Sleep apnea is kinda scary, and yeah... His seems high.
I hope everything works out for the little guy. U gotta do what YOU feel is right. A mama always has the instincts to know. Prayers to u guys coming this way

The Marley Family said...

Thanks guys. Yeah, I strangly feel calm about this, which I hope is a good sign. Sarah, I feel the same way- having his tonsils out seems like the lesser of the two.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Lauren said...

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem as a kid and had my tonsils and adnoids out at age 3. I was too young to even remember it, but my mom said it went fine. One bonus to having tonsils taken out is that I never got strep throat, even when the rest of my family got sick. I'm sure surgery is a scary proposition, but kids get these surgeries all the time without complications. Best wishes!

The Marley Family said...

Hey thanks Lauren, your comment is actually really comforting. I am glad that he isn't going to remember this.

Blueyedmle said...

From our experience... I realized the surgery is harder on the mom than the little patient. It's amazing the difference it has made for reed.

The Marley Family said...

Emily, I totally agree. Funny thing...I totally went back on your blog about Reed's surgery. Thanks for posting that for me!