Saturday, October 16

Autumn Leaves

Van's preschool sent him home with 2 books, one about autumn leaves and the other about a squirrel. We had fun reading them, then we did an activity along with it. We went on an "adventure" to find some leaves in our neighborhood. We looked at all the different colors and sizes of leaves. We also spotted different animals on our walk; several squirrels and cats. We had fun looking at what the squirrels were up to, like in the book we had just read. Van had a lot of fun. He was quite a chatterbox.

While we walked, he made up a story that he told to me (lemme try to remember how it went)--"The trees are growing so tall, up to the moon. And I'm an astronaut and I ride on my rocket up to the moon. I fly past all the planets. And then I crashed, but I landed on the sun. It hurt my eyes, it's so bright."

We often try to give the boys special one on one parent time. They really love it and I believe it makes them feel special (plus it gives us a bit of a sanity break--1 is easier than 2!). It was really nice to have this one on one time with him. When we finished our walk, we sorted out the leaves and made a placemat (which also works well as a suncatcher). I taped down all the leaves on to a clear plastic bag. I think it turned out pretty well. Van was able to bring it with him to school and have a show-and-tell. He was so excited to "share my leaves with all my friends" and to tell them about his adventure.
He's telling me a story in this last pic.

No comments: