Sunday, January 16

Van's Party--OH BOY!

Well I will give you the readers digest version first then a longer version at the bottom. Van's party day started with Do Jump, which he loved. He was able to do trapeze, tumbling, and other fun things. Then we came home, waited for friends to show up and we went over to the ice rink. All of the boys were super wobbly and did about as well as I thought they would. Most of them were done after the first loop around, but we went out for another go. So they all made it around the rink 2 times before giving up. We went back home for cake, presents and playing with toys.

Here's pics from the party:

Jason, Van, Alex, Elijah, and Hobbes. Van's buds.

Everyone brought wonderful presents, how ever did they know he loves cars? Thanks everyone!




Ok, here's the long version.....first, Van didn't have a good nights rest, so at Do Jump he wasn't being the best listener. His teachers would tell him to wait on the mat and he would pout and huff away; after a time out with mom, he changed his attitude and was doing much better. Luckily the parents are only allowed to stay for the first meeting, so I wont have to endure watching his attitude problems (or maybe my being there was causing them, who knows).

Then at his party (I cringe as I write this).... the ice rink was a madhouse. Any other time I had been past this rink at the mall it's always been quite empty, so of course we go on a totally busy day (figures). After we were done skating and the boys had had enough, we went back to turn in our skates and get our shoes, which was downstairs in a tight space. I felt like cattle being hurded, it was aweful. I slowly made my way over to the locker, turned and saw Van standing by one of the moms and boys. I got our shoes out, divied them up and scoped for Van again. One of the other mom's said he went to the bathroom. I asked if he actually knew where it was and she said she saw him go in. I went over to the men's room and called for him; nothing. Then called louder; nothing. Then peeked in, no one was in there. I had a man go in and check for me and he said it was empty. Then I began to panic. I walked all around the downstairs looking for him. All of the other moms did the same. I went upstairs and searched around, but no Van. I was still in my ice skates so had to go back down, take them off and then proceed to search. I ran like a mad woman. He was not anywhere around. Melinda decided to check up the escalator which was directly outside the ice rink. I went to a clothing store that was also right by the exit to the ice rink. They said they hadn't seen him but to try the information desk near there. I went and asked, but nothing. A security guard was standing there and I asked him, some young boys standing nearby heard me and said that they saw him, he went up the escalator. As I turn to look at the escalator I see Melinda walking over with him. I could've thrown up right then. I gave Melinda a big hug and hugged Van. Melinda told me he was with a security guard walking around and that he wouldn't tell the guard his name, but the guard said that he knew something was wrong since he didn't have any shoes on.

I asked Van what happened and he said he couldn't find me so he went up to the escalator (how sad that he would've thought I would've left without him). He said he told the man his name but he couldn't hear him. (I can totally see how after he went to the bathroom he wouldn't be able to find us, it was packed!) We have since had several long discussion on what we do when we get lost and who we talk to.

I cannot thank all of the moms enough for looking so hard for Van and for helping me to find him. I do not know what I would've done without you guys.


All this getting lost brought back the memories of me getting lost at the fair, I think I was 5. I wanted to go see the horses and asked my mom, who was talking to an adult. She didn't hear me but said "yes" to the person she was talking with. All I heard was "yes", so I took off. After I got to the horses, I realized no one followed me. So I went running around the fair, with tears running down my face, to all the places we had been. Then some nice lady found me and took me to lost and found where I waited and they came for me. It was horrible and I was terrified.

Thankfully Van wasn't totally freaked. Oh the horrible memories.

It's scary to be lost as a child, but way worse when you're the parent. All the horrible thoughts that go through your head.


This was a LONG day and I do not want another one like that ever again! I would definately not want this to be my Groundhog Day to live over and over again until I get it right. Oh no!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

That is very scary. Josh got out of nursery once at church and was lost for about 5 minutes. Not a good feeling. I'm very glad everything turned out alright.

Yo Mama said...

I felt like throwing up when you were lost at the fair. That was one of the most horrific days. Boy I am relieved that everything turned out well. Kiss the boys for me.

Benj and Melinda said...

On a good side note, we had a fun time skating and coming over to your house for cake! I am so glad he was safe and sound and with a security guard!!!!