Thursday, April 21

Mold Making--Faces

I'm taking a mold making class, kinda like it but it feels more like manual labor than art. Anyways, in class we are making molds of faces. Sounds kinda cool, but this is something I've already attempted to do (in High School), but couldn't hack it. It's not like I'm claustrophobic really, I think it was having to sit for 30 ish minutes perfectly still while trying not to move any muscle on your face and only breath calmly through your nose (anyone who knows me well knows I can't breath too well through my nose in normal conditions). Put all those things together and you have my worst nightmare. Needless to say, I had to get out of it. All my teacher wanted was for us to learn how to make the molds, not to actually have one of ourselves, thank goodness. So I convinced Derek to be my face model and he came with me to class (it was kind a fun date night for us-however sad that sounds). I had someone take some pics:

First step is applying a blue silicone-ish stuff (didn't get a pic)

Second, putting on the plaster strips
Posing with the mummified Derek face
Yeah, try to relax and breath through those holes...
Profile
How the casting turned out (not totally done--I still have to fix it up and shave off some imperfections). Kind of cool and weird.
I told Derek I now have a death mask of him. He thought we should make several and send them to family (ummm, no.)

1 comment:

Yo Mama said...

Thats too creepy Katie! Hehe Poor Derek