Sunday, July 24

Been Up To A Lot

We've been up to a lot around here (at the expense of blogging). Derek has been working 3 jobs, which has made him very busy. He absolutely loves his main job which has been such a blessing for us. I've been busy with the boys and trying to take them out and about every day (mostly I've been trying to walk somewhere everyday). I've really been enjoying taking long walks with the boys and going over to local friends homes or parks. A good benefit from this is that I've gotten a lot more sun than normal this Summer (not than I'm tan by any means, but have a bit more color). I've also been selling stuff on Craigslist, things we have accumulated but don't need (Ok, so we are great at finding free stuff and now I'm trying to fix it up and sell), and I've also been doing some paintings/jewlery that I've promised people but haven't been able to catch up on until now. Busy busy.

One interesting adventure: while Derek and I were on a date, the boys put some toys in the toilet and flushed (not sure who was the brains of this opperation). They've never done this, so I guess we've made out pretty well thus far. They decided to put some bath toys down, so we knew they weren't going to break down and eventually pass. Derek and I stumbled upon this happening by trying to flush that night after our date and getting a super slow drain. We figured out what happened and didn't know how we would fix it. Derek bought a new wax ring, took the toilet off and pulled out 2 bath toys, and then put the toilet back; my hero! It was quite an interesting happening, but everything turned out well.

I have also had a new experience: I made homemade jam and ice cream. A friend and I went berry picking with our boys, which the boys didn't find much pleasure in. We came home with raspberries and tayberries (raspberry/blackberry mix). First I made jelly out of the tayberries, which turned out amazingly delicious! Then I borrowed a friends ice cream maker and used the raspberries to make about 5 quarts of yummy raspberry ice cream. I ended up giving away 3 quarts of it. The ice cream is super smooth and not too sweet. I had the brilliant idea to add some jam to the ice cream which turned out to be super amazing. Yup, just call me Suzy homemaker.

****Lastly, I have something I want some opinions on: Derek has been enjoying his job so much that he has been contemplating not going back for his Master's degree (or putting it off) and just working and paying off some debt. His job is part time, in which they will be very flexible for his school schedule, but they also told him they have full time work for him if he chose. This sounds tempting to me seen as how a Master's degree is really expensive and I don't want our debt to grow even more. The job he has currently pays well but is not going to be one that will last forever. He loves what he does, but it's not stable and secure. Plus, I know he would LOVE the job he would get after he finished his Master's degree. Also, I want a house. More than anything, but can't get one until Derek gets a career (cause who knows what state he will be able to find a career job in) and that wont be 'til after his Master's degree. I can't imagine pushing off getting a house any longer than a few more years. I just want some opinions and reassurance from the readers out there....what would you do?  So I guess the choices are: Put off school a bit longer to pay down/pay off our debt, or just tough it up and finish so we can pay off debt with a better paying career job?

I know that through fasting and prayer, the Lord will guide us through this trial. We have been praying and I know what we are going to do, but it does feel better to write this down, it kinda clears my head a bit. Thanks for listening to my rants.



I felt this post needed a little something, so here's a cute video of the boys dancing to a street performer outside our favorite frozen yogurt shop. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Yo Mama said...

Boy they are dancing machines. Hahaha

Lauren said...

You guys will make the choice best for your family. If it were me just making a quick choice, I'd say push through and get it done if the current job can't provide long term support.

Benj and Melinda said...

Good luck with what you guys decide!

Benj and Melinda said...

Also.... we have had a diaper flushed, a whole apple, and the kicker ( which required the toilet to be taken off and lots and lots of hard work to get it out even after that and I thought for SURE we were going to have to just buy a new toilet) a big bouncy ball. Gotta love kids! Good job Derek!

The Marley Family said...

HA Melinda!!! I do remember the apple...and almost went to your blog to remember how you fixed the situation. Too funny (well, maybe not at the time).

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.